Thursday, September 10, 2026

rom-com of the year?

film review: Finding Emily (some spoilers) 

rating: ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

I hear how people have been raving about this film for a couple of months, and I was also pretty excited to watch it myself when the trailer came out. But it was a while before it was released in the U.S., and I've been seeing that people claim that it is the rom-com of the year? So, I definitely needed to see for myself. I wonder why people thought that. 

Finding Emily is based on a guy named Owen who meets a girl, later named Emily, at a function of a university that he works at and that she goes to. They end up talking for what seems like ages, but it was probably like 30 minutes. She's interested in him and the conversation. He's completely enticed by her. He feels as if it was love at first sight. 

She ended up having to go to her friend's birthday party and gave Owen her number in a rush. He later tries to contact her the next day and finds out he can't because her number is missing that last digit. So he takes it upon himself to go to the school to find her and bumps into another Emily that you see in the poster. Both have goals to accomplish, and one that is kept secret. They later team up together to find Emily while not realizing how much they come to like each other. 

Now, the film is beautiful in terms of the camerawork. There were so many good shots, and I liked the way it was going. But as it goes on, that miscommunication trope whew. That is a trope that I HATE to see go on in any piece of media, and it is unfortunate because it went on for so long in this one. Also, that ending???  

I couldn't really enjoy the little cute moments between them because of how much was being kept a secret from Owen about why the other Emily was really helping him find Emily. If anything, the real rom-com of the year or decade has to be Rye Lane. When the trailer first came out and buzz started to circulate, there were some people that were comparing it to Rye Lane, given that it kind of gave the same vibe almost. But people were completely wrong. It didn't have that soft, cool edge that Rye Lane had. I'm not sure if there will be another film like Rye Lane. But they need to stop playing with them. 

Overall, I did somewhat enjoy the movie. It had warmth. I liked the supporting characters and the connection of other characters to the main leads and their relationships. Even so, it was just the circumstances that made it a bit harder to fully connect with the main characters because it gave an "I know something that you don't" type of vibe throughout the majority of the movie, and it wasn't one that I could personally ignore when I was watching. 

Let me know if any of you have watched this film yet. How did you feel about it? Do you feel the same way or? 

- m <3

No comments:

Post a Comment